FW: [Malvern] Recommendations for File Servers

Richard Forster rick at forster.uklinux.net
Thu Oct 26 22:06:49 BST 2006

Ian Pascoe wrote:
> Been doing a bit of the ol' surfing this evening and browsing through
> SourceForge - am I completely off the mark or are most of the Firewalls set
> up to be run as dedicated distros - as per Darren's and Stuart P's earlier
> descriptions?  I can't find anything that inspires confidence in a single PC
> scenario.

Firestarter.   http://www.fs-security.com/

It is just a GUI way of configuring IPtables.  Though once set up the
GUI acts as an event log viewer and easy method of modifying the
settings. But as the IPtables rules get invoked at boot time you don't
need the GUI there for normal day to day running.
I expect most if not all other firewall packages are variations on this
theme. Whilst IPtables aren't that hard to understand when you read
them, they can be tricky to write from scratch.

Cheers

Rick