FW: [Malvern] Recommendations for File Servers

Stuart Parkington mrsparks_maillists at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 31 08:08:52 GMT 2006

> Lastly, and this is totally off the wall, but I know that Rik does DVD
> backups, Stuart P does it to external drives, and Phil being posh sends it
> off to the nether regions, but would anyone think that setting up a Malvern
> LUG backup VPN a worthwhile thing?  ie those who have file servers or spare
> space on large Gb drives allow storage of other peoples data in user admin
> segmented areas?  Personally, I don't much think of this idea but it is
> technically possible and it would mean that you have remote backup.

I don't think setting up a LUG backup would be cost effective, bearing
in mind that you can buy off site backups across t'internet quite cheap.

However, I was thinking that it might be an interesting idea to have a
LUG 'backup-buddy' whereby one member would host a USB drive on their
network whilst his 'backup-buddy' would reciprocate. Then overnight
(perhaps every other night cause of bandwidth constraints) they could
rsync/r-diff/SSH/whatever between the two, using cron jobs and
shell/perl scripts. Encryption could be used for both transmission and
storage to protect against snooping (we would have to be mindful of the
RIP act I guess).

Might make an interesting LUG project?

Stuart