[Malvern] More on Lynx.

Richard Forster rick at forster.uklinux.net
Thu Feb 1 19:44:26 GMT 2007

Recent pings:	[None - trying pinging us to see something here]

This is referring to pings you recently sent to their IP address. What
makes you think that it is NOT their business to record any and all
traffic that is sent to them, should they choose? It does not refer to
pings you recently sent to completely different IP addresses, nor to
pings that others recently sent to them.
I can verify that when I send big pings to them (ping -s) the page shows
the extended ping payload.

Cookies are similar, if you don't want them to tell you what cookies of
theirs that you are agreeing to store then don't use cookies (either at
all or for just that site if you like the pop-up cookie question box).
<evil>
Or stick a cookie random obfuscator into a cron-job for kicks. I'm sure
Someone could kick out a perl one-liner to do that.
</evil>

As for user-agent details. They are not required in the request (only
the actual page and the host are required) and you can get browser
plugins to change the user-agent string.
However this slight privacy issue is balanced against letting the web
server know which browser you are using so that the website designer can
test the site with the browsers which visit most commonly.

I would only get worried if it knew your login-id and the other websites
you had open at the same time.

Remember, someone knowing which OS and browser you use from which IP
address does not make you less secure. Using an unsecured OS and browser
makes you less secure.

Cheers

Rick