[Malvern] MS Vista

Ian Pascoe ianpascoe at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 1 22:27:26 GMT 2007

Hi All

Been catching up on the whys and woefores of MS's new offering.  I have to
admit some of the stuff in there appears to be quite nice.

However, the pricing structure just beggars belief!  The US$ price for one
of the editions figure wise is exactly the same in GB£ - put another way
Home Premium which will probably be the normal level for most homes and
small businesses costs $199 or £199.

Reading the various Linux news feeds there seems to be quite alot about this
being the ideal time for Linux and Open Source to break through.  I have to
admit, I agree!  Especially as the upgrade path from XP appears to be so
frought with danger and that even with a successful upgrade you still need
to reload all programs .

If the Open Source Community doesn't take this plate held out to them by MS
we are indeed a very clique group of nerds and egg-heads.

Be interesting to see what happens as time progresses.

Ian