[Malvern] MS Vista

Chris Eilbeck chris at hyperspace.org.uk
Sat Feb 3 16:43:50 GMT 2007

On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 01:17:57PM +0000, Andrew Morris wrote:
> Vista has /no/ manual validation procedure, it can only be validated after
> install, on-line. This is a primary security point that M$ have been
> harping on.
>
> So how would any standalone, non-Internet system, cope? And before you
> ask, I can think of two such systems - the new services pay system created
> by EDS for the RAF-ARMY-NAVY - which is totally enclosed and has no
> outside network connection; and the (sssh!) non-existent standalone email
> system that is (not) installed in Downing Street. There are potentially
> many others.
>
> Shooting-oneself-in-corporate-foot time?

There are probably ways and means for "special" customers.  Having said
that, systems like that are probably being shipped on NT3.51 still knowing
how long these things take to develop.

> By the way - does anyone have a copy of Knoppix 5.1.1 CD I can borrow to
> copy?

I've got Kubuntu 6.10 DVD iso if that's any use to you.

Chris Eilbeck
Tripoli UK Member #9527                                          LSMR