[Malvern] MS Vista

Andrew Morris zaglabod at btinternet.com
Sat Feb 3 13:20:48 GMT 2007

One of my son's friends was bought a laptop, ("E-sphere", or something
like that) with Vista on it, from PC World, on 21-Dec-06. About a
fortnight ago, it stopped booting, saying that NTLDR was compressed.
This is a start-up file. He brought it round the other night. Checked
out perfectly with Knoppix 5.01. He had tried the rescue recovery
process, as well, which, from the backups, had rewritten everything back
to start. NTLDR is unchanged from creation date, which appears to be
2004, therefore probably comes from XP.

Then it hit me. This machine is standalone - for gaming, homework, etc.
- it has never been connected to the Internet - it has never been
validated after initial switch-on. It stopped booting, 30 days fater
first switch-on.

I think it has self-disabled because it has not been validated on-line.

Vista has /no/ manual validation procedure, it can only be validated
after install, on-line. This is a primary security point that M$ have
been harping on.

So how would any standalone, non-Internet system, cope? And before you
ask, I can think of two such systems - the new services pay system
created by EDS for the RAF-ARMY-NAVY - which is totally enclosed and has
no outside network connection; and the (sssh!) non-existent standalone
email system that is (not) installed in Downing Street. There are
potentially many others.

Shooting-oneself-in-corporate-foot time?

By the way - does anyone have a copy of Knoppix 5.1.1 CD I can borrow to
copy?

Cheers,

Andy