[Malvern] AOL spyware ?

Richard Forster rick at forster.uklinux.net
Sat Feb 10 20:09:37 GMT 2007

What I think happened is that one of your friends who uses AOL (and
windows) somehow caught a computer virus/spyware. Probably they went
online or something. Then when they telephoned you during a time when
both of you were online the infected computer probed your computer
network over the phone line and realised that your router/firewall is
old and has bugs in it's proprietary software. The spyware then sent
software over the phone line while you were still talking with your
friend (you couldn't hear it because of the microfilters) and this
infected your router.
Now your infected router monitors all traffic going through it and
collects information about all the sites you visit, emails you send and
receive and bank details from any web sites you use. It then sends this
information to a AOL chat account (port 5190) probably running on
another compromised PC where it is encrypted before being sent on to the
hacker ultimately responsible for all this. As it is your router that is
infected you won't be able to tell anything about what is going on from
your PC. You will have to monitor the connection outside your router
(the phone line) to detect the traffic, which of course you can't do.
That's what makes this latest spyware attack so clever.