FW: [Malvern] Hypothetical question for gurus.

Ian Pascoe ianpascoe at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 26 22:13:39 GMT 2007

Things would get broken - remember that although a distro is based on a
particular package, the new distro tweaks the original one in subtle enough
ways that it would be hard to guess the results of such a thing.  For
instance, looking at libraries these are probably the one area where most
breakages would occur as the 2 distros could well be functioning at 2
different version levels today, you get an upgrade from the parent site that
still relies on the old version, but hey presto it won't work because your
distro uses a different version at install - got that?  <reaches for Anadin>

But then, apart from a fresh install it would be such a mess.  It might even
keep Rik occupied for a while ....!

Was there a reason behind the question, or just pure mayhem?

Ian