[Malvern] Streaming.

Chris Eilbeck chris at hyperspace.org.uk
Mon Jan 15 21:42:04 GMT 2007

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 09:23:54PM +0000, Geoff Bagley wrote:
> Chris Eilbeck wrote:
> >Realplayer is not good, very spywaretastic.
> >
> Can you reveal in what manner ?  I am not surprised.
> I guess there must be something they can sell.

http://www.trap17.com/index.php/realplayer-became-spyware_t32256.html but
there are loads of hits at Google for "realplayer spyware".

> >It's pretty trivial to throw some code together to generate some test
> >tones and play them out of the sound card.  You must have the Linus
> >speech thing somewhere on your system.  If you can play that without
> >distortion, you've cracked it.
>
> I am ignorant here - can you expand please ?

On what?  You're heard the Linus speech sample saying how he pronounces
Linux I assume?  You could easily knock a bit of code together to generate a
1KHz sine wave or 440Hz or whatever and play that out via the sound card.
It's just a matter of opening the /dev/dsp device, using the appropriate
ioctl to set sampling rate and resolution, then using a timer to feed
samples out to the device.

> OK, are there any sites that won't let you stream them ?

BBC do their best to stop you, especially to capture the streams to listen
to offline.

> Can you stream Danmarks Radio P1 ?

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3732/

Sounds like that'd work for you.

> They insist that I use something from an obscure firm called Microsoft.
> Way back in the 1950's,  when they were on long wave 243 kHz, I used that
> program to hone up my Danish.  I would like to stream them if I can,  but
> I guess I need something fundamental.
>

> Can you tell me,  are there any channels using special or incompatible
> formats that the rest of us can't read ?

Windows streaming media is difficult.  I've yet to work out how to watch the
6 O'clock News from the BBC via the web.

> PS.  See you Wednesday ?  ( Outside duty permitting ).

Sorry, it'll be unlikely.  I've got stuff to deliver for shake and bake
(aircraft qualification) by the end of the week and I've only got one
complete but not tested yet.

Chris Eilbeck
Tripoli UK Member #9527                                          LSMR