[Malvern] Streaming.

Geoff Bagley geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 15 21:23:10 GMT 2007

Chris Eilbeck wrote:
> Realplayer is not good, very spywaretastic.

Can you reveal in what manner ?  I am not surprised.
I guess there must be something they can sell.
> It's pretty trivial to throw some code together to generate some test tones
> and play them out of the sound card.  You must have the Linus speech thing
> somewhere on your system.  If you can play that without distortion, you've
> cracked it.

I am ignorant here - can you expand please ?

>> Chris suggests typing in the URL.
>> I have not tried that since I loaded the other alsa files - and that was
>> only yesterday !
>> Chris -  when you DO type in the URL to stream,  what browser do you use
>> - Lynx ?
>>

> Browser?  Browser?  Command line!!

OK, are there any sites that won't let you stream them ?
Can you stream Danmarks Radio P1 ?
They insist that I use something from an obscure firm called Microsoft.
Way back in the 1950's,  when they were on long wave 243 kHz, I used that
program to hone up my Danish.  I would like to stream them if I can,  but
I guess I need something fundamental.

Can you tell me,  are there any channels using special or incompatible
formats that
the rest of us can't read ?

> RTSP is just another protocol on top of TCP as far as I know.  Mplayer deals
> with all the buffering to cope with network latency.
>
> Chris

Best regards,

Geoff.

PS.  See you Wednesday ?  ( Outside duty permitting ).