FW: [Malvern] GRUB + Volume

Chris Eilbeck chris at hyperspace.org.uk
Thu Mar 1 21:08:55 GMT 2007

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 07:22:24PM -0000, Ian Pascoe wrote:
> Right, tried that and it just opened a file with a lot of tildas.

That's very odd.  The start of my /boot/grub/menu.lst is as follows:

# menu.lst - See: grub(8), info grub, update-grub(8)
#            grub-install(8), grub-floppy(8),
#            grub-md5-crypt, /usr/share/doc/grub
#            and /usr/share/doc/grub-doc/.

## default num
# Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
# the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
#
# You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry
# is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
default		0

## timeout sec
# Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default entry
# (normally the first entry defined).
#timeout		10

> So how can I trawl the directory - I have to log in as root I guess, but
> how do I sudo in and stay in?  Once I'm in I can look at the directory and
> see if I can find a similar file and have a go at that.

You need to set a root password using

  sudo passwd root

then just su and you're root!

Chris Eilbeck
Tripoli UK Member #9527                                          LSMR