FW: [Malvern] WiFi

Geoff Bagley geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 1 21:37:03 GMT 2007

See below :

Ian Pascoe wrote:
> Geoff, won't make any difference.  The idea of wi-fi is to connect and go -
> or it shouldn't!
>
> Hmm, to turn Geoff's question around, if you have laptops running at the
> different protocols due to the age of the wi-fi adaptor etc, will the access
> point broadcast at both or just one protocol?
>
> Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply.

Are there any small ethernet-connected transmitter-receiver units which
will sit at the end of
a LAN cable, and which might sit at the focal point of a discarded
satellite dish ?

I note that 802.11a is 5 GHz,  most of the others 2.4-2.5 GHz.
I guess that is in the Amateur band, and that a licensed amateur might
legally employ
higher power levels.  I must look at the band limits.

Geoff.