FW: [Malvern] WiFi

Richard Forster rick at forster.uklinux.net
Thu Mar 1 22:30:11 GMT 2007

802.11b uses a certain modulation technology for all its speeds up to
it's max of 11Mbps. 802.11g is identical to b at those lower speeds but
uses a different modulation technology at the higher speeds up to 54Mbps.
If you connect to a 802.11g AP with 802.11b equipment then it will drop
it's speed down to 11Mbps so it can talk to you. This will slow the AP
down for every one else as well.
Speeds also drop if the signals are weaker at longer ranges.
Note that those speeds are not average data transfer speeds. WiFi works
like a very polite meeting where people might talk very quickly but they
take breaks and there are periods of silence where they let other people
begin talking if they wish.

There are several sites out there describing how people made their own
WiFi dish. As Chris noted, many use USB WiFi dongles at the focal point.