FW: [Malvern] Working Lunch

Geoff Bagley geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 8 22:17:06 GMT 2007

This type of discussion often speaks of "open source",  but doesn't go
as far as
"free software" which is also open source without  any commercial
strings attached.

Does anyone have a feeling for the division (if it should be such)
between the two
camps ?  I think some people dismiss RMS as a zealot,  but I think
there's a lot to
be said for the "free" bit,  which was that which started it all off.

The  (merely)  "open" aspect was probably to get industry involved.

Some Americans have spoken of  "communist" software !

The full appellation for  GNU/Linux and all its cousins should
preferably be "FOSS" or "FLOSS" (g.v.)

Geoff.