[Malvern] Fw: [ANNOUNCE] Technical Meeting - Wednesday 28th November 2007

Phil Ironside phil at creativespaces.co.uk
Mon Nov 26 08:57:05 GMT 2007

Yo

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 08:36:27 +0000
From: Barbie <barbie at missbarbell.co.uk>
To: Birmingham Perl Mongers <birmingham-pm at pm.org>
Cc: Martin Wright <Martin.Wright at wolverhampton.gov.uk>
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Technical Meeting - Wednesday 28th November 2007

Event:   Technical Meeting
Date:    Wednesday 28th November 2007
Times:   from 7pm onwards (see below)
Venue:   Bennett's, 8 Bennetts Hill, Birmingham, B2 5RS.
Details: http://birmingham.pm.org/cgi-bin/brum.pl?act=tech-next

Intro:

Please note, due to an unfortunate block booking, we have had to move
the last technical meeting of the year to Bennett's. This will be the
last technical meeting until February 2008, although there will be our
AGM in January.

This month we have a special guest joining us, with Martin Wright coming
to talk to us about WARP, an initiative to alert and inform users of
potential software threats, issues and vulnerabilities.

Following his successful first article on Perl.com, JJ will be expanding
the article to give a more interactive explanation of program argument
processing. This will also be a warm-up for his appearance at the London
Perl Workshop at the weekend, and JJ would appreciate the feedback, so
come along and see this exclusive preview.

As always entry is free, with no knowledge of Perl required. We'd be
delighted to have you along, so feel free to invite family, friends and
colleagues ;)

We'll be in the venue from about 6.30pm, and have booked The Boardroom
for the night. Order food as you get there, and we'll aim to begin talks
at about 8pm. I expect talks to finish about 9.30pm, with plenty of time
for discussion and planning for meetups over the weekend in London.

Talks:

* WARP [ Martin Wright ]
* Option and configuration processing made easy [ JJ ]

Venue & Directions:

Bennett's, 8 Bennetts Hill, Birmingham, B2 5RS. (Tel: 0121 643 9293)
- http://birmingham.openguides.org/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi?Bennetts_(B2)
- http://img01.beerintheevening.com/ba/badaab2714defef4904adb8ca78acb7c.jpg
- http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&searchresult=&db=pc&cidrclient=none&lang=&keepicon=true&pc=B25RS&advanced=&client=public&addr2=&quicksearch=B2+5RS&addr3=&addr1=

The venue is approximately 5-10 minutes walk from New Street station,
with on street car parking available along Colmore Row, Waterloo Street,
Bennetts Hill and Temple Row, although ytou may have to do a few
circuits before you find a spot. There is further on street parking
available along Newhall Street and Edmund Street, with further parking
available around the Birmingham College of Food, Tourism and Creative
Studies, across Great Charles Street (The Inner Ring Road). See the
directions on the website for more detail.

http://birmingham.pm.org/cgi-bin/brum.pl?act=tech-next

Times:

These are the rough times for the evening:

* food available until 9.00pm
* talks: 8.00-10.00pm
* pub closes: 11.00pm

Food:

Food is usually available until 9.00pm, although we don't have a menu
for pre-ordering. Order as you get there and tell them you'll be in The
Boardroom. The Boardroom has been booked in the name of Birmingham Perl
Mongers for the night.

If you have any problems, call me on 0771 401 6184. Hope you can make
it.

Cheers,
Barbie.
--