[Malvern] Re: [Gloucs] Skype or similar animals.

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 28 12:47:30 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 12:30 +0000, Stuart Bird wrote:
> I have never used it personally but Ubuntu comes with Ekiga
> Softphone installed.
>
> More info here: http://ekiga.org/
>
> I don't know if it's skype compatible, however there is an
> extensive FAQ on the web site.

Ekiga (formerly GnomeMeeting) works with the H323 standard,
the open standard for VOIP / Video conferencing; and with
standard SIP connections. Other codecs can be used, and
it can even talk to Microsoft NetMeeting I believe.

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 11:53 +0000, Geoff Bagley wrote:
> It looks like Ubuntu being the best bet -  they are closest to Debian,
> but don't shy away from anything "proprietary" !
[snip]
> It would be nice to see a FreeSkype  or Openskype  available.

Geoff,
There's some contradiction between your two points above :-/
If you want to benefit from the freedom to inter-operate with
the world you need open protocols - there is nothing that
will operate with Skype's secret protocol, save Skype itself.

If you really want to benefit from control of the software that
is installed on your PC, you need software freedom.
Both Debian and Ubuntu allow you to compromise your freedom by
installing proprietary software; this doesn't mean that it's
a good idea :-(

> Please can I ask one more question ?
> What telephone instrument is preferred,  and is the instrument itself
> interchangeable between the brands ?
> Would an ordinary microphone and headset be OK

Yes

>   (in which case I would
> need to "dial" using the keyboard) ?

Yes (or click on an entry in your address book).

 - Richard