[Malvern] Compact Flash Storage

Chris Eilbeck chris at hyperspace.org.uk
Wed Sep 19 20:46:00 BST 2007

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 08:36:39PM +0100, Ian Pascoe wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> List had been a bit quiet, so instead of saving these to the next GMH I'd
> thought I'd ask now.
>
> If you wanted to use CF as your storage media, how'd you connect it up?
>
> From reading the specs CF has it's own in built IDE controller, so could
> you attach it to the HD bus via a suitable connector?

Yes, it's quite common for embedded PCs.

> If you wanted  to mount multiple CF cards to provide a larger storage
> size, are there such things as adaptors that will hold x amount of cards?
> I can only find card readers, or micro drives, neither of which fits the
> bill.

Go to http://www.linitx.com/ and pick CF Card Readers.  You'll find single
and dual CF adaptors that you can just plug onto a standard ATA or SATA
controller cable from the mobo.

> Lastly, would CF be a possible and reliable storage media for backups

Not as cheap as DVDs or as versatile as a big HD in a USB caddy.

Chris Eilbeck
Tripoli UK Member #9527                                          LSMR