[Malvern] BECTA suggests schools should prefer open source to M$

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 14 18:10:51 GMT 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 12:45 +0000, Tony Sumner wrote:
> I wonder if there may not be a problem with schools switching to an OS
> operating system.

Problem? All changes of platforms involve problems -
whether you're moving to MS Vista or Ubuntu GNU.

However BECTA's statement was not about moving to
Open Source, let alone Free Software, operating
systems, nor even applications: rather about using
agreed international standards [1] for document
interchange.

This can be used with proprietary software like
MS Office (with a Sun plug-in), and StarOffice, as
well as Free Software like KOffice 4 and, obviously,
OOo.

> I know someone who makes a living writing
> educational software. When I asked her if she considered writing linux
> versions she said no because the schools run Windows. I imagine (sorry
> I know nothing about how schools function) that there must be lots of
> software not from Microsoft (and that is one reason the schools run
> Windows). It could probably all be converted but who is going to pay
> for the conversion and for the suppliers writing two versions of
> everything?

Sorry - this is a bogus argument against change
(not that BECTA support change but, well, one or
two of us do). For each of the last three years,
over and above the ca. 100k each high school spends
on IT, DfES has given GBP110 million for curricular,
non-office, software. Much of the software sits
in cupboards unopened.

Roughly one per cent of this expenditure would pay
for the development of Free Software to cover *every*
area of the curriculum, centrally served in schools
and LEAs, and accessible (via a browser) on any
platform.

The government doesn't owe a living to companies
writing Windows apps for schools, unfortunately it
does feel it owes a living to MS - particularly
evident in the specification of needing a MS Windows
PC to access various government services.

 - Richard

[1] ISO 26300 a.k.a. Open Document Format

Richard Smedley,                                          rs at m6-it.org
Technical Director,                                      www.M6-IT.org
M6-IT CIC                                         +44 (0)779 456 07 14

Sustainable Third Sector IT solutions. PRINCE2 [TM] Project Management
Training * Certification * Support * Networking * Web * Database * CRM

M6-IT is a Community Interest Company, limited by guarantee.
Registered in England & Wales,                Registration No: 6040154
11 St Marks Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 7DT

Northern Office:       4, Hollins Green, Bradwall, Cheshire, CW10 0LA.

Welsh office/ Swyddfa Gogledd Cymru: e-mail / e-bost - cymru at m6-it.org

Southern Office: Bristol                     contact matthew at m6-it.org