[Malvern] NFS or Samba ?

Ian Pascoe ianpascoe at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 28 21:12:17 GMT 2008

Hi Geoff

To coin a phrase, it all depends ....

What do you want the file server to serve?

Do you want the server to hold the equivilant of the /home directory for
each of your current PCs, or just to hold files that are convieniently
grabbed from one place without having to move them by other means?

Do you want it to do other stuff apart from a file server - collect e-mails
for example?

Put your thunking cap on, and see what you'd like it to do, and don't worry
about letting your imagination runing away with you, as someone somewhere
has probably already done it!

But to answer your question, NFS is a good building block to start off with
before moving into / onto the more eccentric  file systems.

Ian