[Malvern] NFS or Samba ?

Geoff Bagley geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 28 21:32:38 GMT 2008

Hi Ian,
Good to hear from you.
I thought that a back-up archive on a separate machine might be useful.
(Not forgetting that it too
will require backing up !
I sometimes want to move operations from one machine to another - I now
have a pair of Toshiba lap-tops.
I could also have a separate machine  using a different distribution
without having to commit all my work to it.

So the first answer would be to use it a a file store common to the
whole ether-network,  the particular
files being variable.

I guess that if I shut down an old machine, I could keep material in
common use without having to start
afresh on the new machine.  I guess it could collect emails, but hadn't
thought much about it.
Security monitoring could run there. and log-keeping as a background job.

My initial thought was that I don't need Microsoft compatibility,  so
why use Samba, unless it has
other great advantages.

See some of you Tuesday week,

Geoff.