[Malvern] Debian and Ubuntu.

Guy Inchbald guy at steelpillow.com
Wed Jul 9 19:49:50 BST 2008

For Matt Hartley's article, see:
http://www.intranetjournal.com/articles/200710/ij_10_10_07a.html

And for a reply, see:
http://monochromementality.com/index.php/blog/show/Re-Why-Ubuntu-Tops-Deb
ian.html

Both are full of ideological posturing and very little substance. Both
assume that, like Mac OS and Windows, Ubuntu "just works", while debian
requires geek genes. Hahaha! Any OS that black- or bluescreens me does
not IMHO "just work". Of those mentioned, only debian has never done
that to me.

Nevertheless I have persevered with Ubuntu, expecting it to get better
quicker. But instead I am getting increasingly fed up with its "nanny
knows best" attitude.

For example I just installed the latest long-term support hardy heron
8.04. Then I decided to diddle with my partitions a bit more, but no
tool was available (it was in the installer, but vanished during the
install). So I fired up the download toy (forget what it's called),
which promptly demanded my password - even for access to the *official*
repository. So did other tools for diddling with one thing or another.
Look Mr. Shuttleworth, I already logged on. This isn't an enterprise
full of locked-down servers, it's my personal desktop box for **** sake!
Well, next I had to "just know" to look for gparted, and I downloaded
it. It failed to appear in my desktop menus (unlike Abiword, which is a
great little word processor). I had to "just know" to open a terminal
and type 'gparted'. But all I got was a lecture on how daaangeerrroussss
it was and only root was allowed to play with it (even though my present
account had been allowed to download and install it). Presumably that
was why it was not in my menu. Of course, Ububtu doesn't allow you to
log in as root. Again, I had to "just know" to type 'sudo gparted'. Thus
circumventing nanny was as simple as climbing out the window and down
the drainpipe - as any professional cat burglar would know. Nanny is not
just irritating, she is ineffectual. That makes her doubly aggravating
as far as I am concerned, and she reminds me of nothing if not a certain
popular OS from Redmond, USA.

Geoff's post reminded me of my earlier affair with debian - thanks
Geoff! The only trouble I recall was setting up ppp and dialup stuff.
Since I now have a broadband router, that is no longer an issue.

Is there anything about debian unstable that makes it less slick than
Ubuntu to install? I always like to be forewarned.

--
Cheers,
Guy