[Malvern] Debian and Ubuntu.

Richard Forster rick at forster.uklinux.net
Thu Jul 10 07:47:26 BST 2008

Ian meant http://efficientpc.co.uk/
I would probably buy my next machine from them.
But don't worry if you don't want the Ubuntu they offer, they would
probably also install any of the other main or not so main-stream
distributions. They wouldn't be able to offer the same mythbox
functionality with Debian stable though  :-)

In addition, the SSL bug may have affected everyone who used a secure
website with a certificate generated (or requested) by a broken Debian
machine. This includes Fedora and even Windows users. Plus the blacklist
files are now taking up space on all your hard drives - yes drives are
huge but that's not really the point is it.
I think the episode gives far more credence to the philosophy of
contributing upstream and always trying to use the official version of a
package. (Yes, there were attempts made by Debian to do this but the
messages didn't get to the right people.) Any distribution specific
patches have to be very well understood before they go in, understood by
someone who doesn't necessarily have the day job of maintaining that
software.

In my last job we used Fedora *only* because it was easier to update it
off-line when you only had windows boxes on-line. That and it was "what
we knew". In my new job we have a mix of Ubuntu (pronounced Umbongo) and
CentOS for when commercial apps are written for RHEL.

Cheers

Rick