[Malvern] PDF files.

Guy Inchbald guy at steelpillow.com
Sat Jul 7 20:44:54 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-07-07 at 21:05 +0100, GEOFF BAGLEY wrote:

> > I'd rewrite whatever is producing the .ps or .pdf and get it
> > to generate .svg instead.
> >
> > Chris
> >
> The postscript is mostly diagrams which I program myself.
> It might be possible to translate one vector prog to another.
> The pdf stuff is the output of LaTeX.
> I am hoping to find some version of "convert file.pdf file.pdf2"
> or something like that

Ah, your apparent previous wish to open your pdf's in a wordprocessor
confused me.

svg is okay-ish, but I have seen a good few differences between
rendering on Windows (e.g. IE 8 and later) and on Linux. Can take much
tinkering to get it to render the way you want.

ps2pdf is a command toy which might have better luck in creating
compatible PDFs from your ps output.
$ man ps2pdf

PDFedit is an OSS tool with graphical UI. It has an "export to XML" toy
but I have never tried it.

Failing all that, my trusty standby for graphics is to export as a png,
approx 75-95 dpi if for viewing onscreen, 600 dpi for printing. But you
need to open the file first. GIMP can do this, not sure how easy you can
run it as a batch job though.

--
Cheers,
Guy