[Menai-LUG] Hello

Kevin Donnelly kevin at dotmon.com
Tue Feb 4 09:22:02 2003

On Monday 03 February 2003 3:59 pm, Huw Wyn Jones wrote:
> Another idea might be a BBS. I know it was a disaster on the N Wales LUG
> but there where reasons !!! [zip mouth]. BBS's are probably a better place
> to talk techie in detail about e.g. configuration issuues etc. My thinking
> is along lines of Samba, Apache, PHP threads more than straight distro's -
> largely because distros seem to be 'converging' to a certain extent.

Yes - I was thinking of phpBB, which Nic Dafis has done a translation for
(well, the user bits anyway).  If you'd like to look at a few and come back
to the list with a recommendation for getting one set up, please do.

The only issue with BBs is that they really need people answering queries as
well as asking them :-), otherwise they can look a bit stale.  And I always
find them a pain to navigate through - they're so slow compared to email.
But you're right in that this would allow a more structured approach to
queries.

Kevin