[Menai-LUG] Next meeting: Greenhouse, Thursday 6 March, 8.00pm??

Kevin Donnelly kevin at dotmon.com
Tue Feb 4 19:33:01 2003

On Tuesday 04 February 2003 2:05 pm, TJ wrote:
> Thurs 8pm, in theory are fine for me.
> It too far into the future for me to know for sure

Ah, there speaks a younger person than me!

> As to installs, debain (woody), is a very manual install
> no autodection stuff. although you can get Prodgenies
> (spelling?) installer, which is one of those "just click 'next'"
> types.
>
> To anyone with some familiarity with Linux and their H/W
> I always advise to compile a custom kernel for your h/w
> right after install. can go through that, although kernel compile
> aint as hard as it sounds. But there are variing ways it can be done,
> I prefere to only do the essentials as built-in, and every thing else
> as modules, some like all builtin, some like all modules.
>
> Also It would be great to play with a 2.5.x kernel on a box where
> loss of data wouldn't matter. I play with 2.5.x on my desktop
> but I have yet to try the software suspend feature.
>
> Samba configuration aint that hard with SWAT especialy
> since each config option has a link to a decription (with examples)
> I configure samba by editing it conf file directly, and would
> be happy to help others
>
> As to light weight terminals, I not heard of the software you mentioned.
>
> But it can be done with Linux as is, setup up a diskless install, then
> run
> remote X sessions (all basic features of Linux and X)

All good ideas: manual install, kernel compile, Samba, terminals.  I think for
the next meeting we should line up the install (+/- immediate kernel
recompile ? too involved for newcomers ?), with demos of Samba and terminals.
We can then go into those in more detail at subsequent meetings.

I've been doing a list, and there's an awful lot of stuff that could be
covered with great benefit.

By the way, since no-one else has commented on the date, I propose to go ahead
with that.  Over to you, Jim?

Kevin