[Menai-LUG] Next meeting: Greenhouse, Thursday 6 March, 8.00pm??

TJ ug99006 at informatics.bangor.ac.uk
Tue Feb 4 14:07:00 2003

Thurs 8pm, in theory are fine for me.
It too far into the future for me to know for sure

As to installs, debain (woody), is a very manual install
no autodection stuff. although you can get Prodgenies
(spelling?) installer, which is one of those "just click 'next'"
types.

To anyone with some familiarity with Linux and their H/W
I always advise to compile a custom kernel for your h/w
right after install. can go through that, although kernel compile
aint as hard as it sounds. But there are variing ways it can be done,
I prefere to only do the essentials as built-in, and every thing else
as modules, some like all builtin, some like all modules.

Also It would be great to play with a 2.5.x kernel on a box where
loss of data wouldn't matter. I play with 2.5.x on my desktop
but I have yet to try the software suspend feature.

Samba configuration aint that hard with SWAT especialy
since each config option has a link to a decription (with examples)
I configure samba by editing it conf file directly, and would
be happy to help others

As to light weight terminals, I not heard of the software you mentioned.

But it can be done with Linux as is, setup up a diskless install, then
run
remote X sessions (all basic features of Linux and X)

-TJ