[Menai-LUG] OT Introductions

Kevin Donnelly kevin at dotmon.com
Fri Feb 7 18:06:00 2003

On Thursday 06 February 2003 11:50 pm, huw@pioden.net wrote:
> As a matter of interest who is everybody on this list ? Would anybody mind
> doing a breif intro about what they do, how they discovered Linux - stuff
> like that.

Not much to say really (or too much!).  Did my first Linux install just before
Christmas 1998 (and hosed my little 486 in the process), eventually found a
distro that actually worked (SuSE), and changed over to Linux entirely at the
beginning of 2001.  Now converting my kids .....

The big push for me came from web stuff, which I work at (occasionally).  Once
I'd encountered Apache, there was no going back - this stuff was just so
logical, so easy to configure, and it WORKED.  The nail in my MS coffin was
trying to keep a Win network running, where you just COULDN'T depend on the
server staying up.

PHP/MySQL is the jewel in the open-source crown.

Kevin