[Menai-LUG] OT Introductions

Huw Wyn Jones huw at pioden.net
Fri Feb 7 18:30:00 2003

> PHP/MySQL is the jewel in the open-source crown.

Oh yes !! I got into Linux around 1997 - 98 when I got my first proper
'virtual server' for web hosting. I remember feeling a sense of wonder that
this 'free' OS was so incredibly reliable - though I must admit the learning
curve was steep at first.

By now Pioden has it's own dedicated servers in Telehouse and my work is now
almost completely based around LAMP's - Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP. The stuff
you can do with this combination is amazing (and almost limitless), and it's
incredibly cost effective for clients as well. Some of my ASP coding mates
are amazed at the capabilities available - to recreate some of the features
would require seriously expensive add-ons for the M$ platform.

With any luck we can get a PHP/MySQL thread going on the forum (when I get a
chance to set it up !!!).

The other jewel in Open Source's crown is OpenOffice. This is the one M$ is
terrified of. When (not if in my view) OpenOffice penetrates the
government/corporate market it will cut off a large chunk of Microsofts
income stream. I ditched M$ Office 8 months ago with no problems at all. In
fact in many ways it's far superior to Office 97. I've only received one
document I couldn't open - an Word XP doc - but I wouldn't have been able to
open that anyway as I was using an old Office !!!

Regards

Huw
===============================
Huw Wyn Jones