[Menai-LUG] Auto startup task

David Goadby dg at pixel-plus.co.uk
Wed May 21 01:48:01 2003

Hi Kevin,

I am using a surplus 2 line by 16 character display. The unit is plugged
into the parallel port and +5v is stolen from the joystick port. A couple of
10K pull-ups completes the hardware. I installed it in a milled out block of
aluminium which is screwed to the front panel.

The device (in my case /dev/lcd) is treated like a VT52 you can do things
like echo hello > /dev/lcd . In my unattended system there is no keyboard or
display so it is the only way I know what is going on without using my
laptop via telnet. I am experimenting with a simple UI using the LCD and
some buttons. The buttons are connected to the joystick port and you can
have 4.

I will report which start-up method(s) worked when I have tried all of the
suggestions.

Regards

David