[Menai-LUG] Firewire cards and video editing

Andrew Hutchings info at a-wing.co.uk
Fri Dec 9 09:32:33 GMT 2005

On Friday 09 December 2005 08:58, Llywelyn Owen wrote:
> Are firewire cards widely supported under linux or do I have to go for a
> specific chipset? if so any recommendations? I need to import some DV for
> editing with Mainactor or Cinelerra, please tell me I don't hav to switch
> to Windows to do the deed! Any of you had experience of video editing with
> linux and have some tips?
>
> Regards
>
> Llywelyn Owen

Hi Llywelyn,

Firewire is pretty well supported, we are currently experimenting with 2 Linux
hosts talking to a firewire HDD at the same time and the results are looking
quite positive.
Not too sure about DV but I believe the drivers are pretty mature for that too
(MYTH TV is supposed to have good support at least).

Regards
Andrew
--
Andrew Hutchings (A-Wing) - Linux Guru