[Menai-LUG] Firewire cards and video editing

Kevin Donnelly kevin at dotmon.com
Fri Dec 9 13:54:07 GMT 2005

On Friday 09 December 2005 08:58, Llywelyn Owen wrote:
> Are firewire cards widely supported under linux or do I have to go for a
> specific chipset? if so any recommendations? I need to import some DV for
> editing with Mainactor or Cinelerra, please tell me I don't hav to switch
> to Windows to do the deed! Any of you had experience of video editing with
> linux and have some tips?

I believe most Firewire cards should work OK.  The last time I looked at this
was a couple of years ago, and then the beta version of the MainActor Linux
version was quite buggy.  The current version should be better.  The then
version of Kino was quite good, but recent reports say it has gone backwards
a bit.  Cinelerra is usually considered to be a bit hit and miss - if you can
get it working, and navigate the interface, great, but if you can't, tough
luck.I'be been meaning to have another look at this, so if you have any
tips/experiences to pass on, please do.  If you are using SUSE, you might
like to look at http://www.acaciaclose.co.uk/index2.html.

--

Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly