[Menai-LUG] Firefox & Mandrake installation

Llywelyn Owen llywelyn at bigfoot.com
Fri Mar 4 08:44:29 GMT 2005

Hello group,

I've been away working for a few days so hope you don't think I had lost interest by not replying. My progress so far is thus, I have Mandrake 9.0 up and running and seeing the internet but not other computers. I'm hoping to have a play around with it this weekend and maybe download other suggested distros such as Xandros, Debian etc to play with those.

Other evaluation distros I've used give me instant access to Windows networks, how do I set this up on Mandrake? I think I have Samba installed, control panel has a LISa setup option under LAN browsing which suggests in a dialogue that Samba or an equivalent is running. I usually try to keep 192.168.0.1-10 (255.255.255.0) available for house computers/network printer/adsl router(with hardware firewall). After running the Guided LISa setup nothing seems to have changed/appeared that would give me access.

As an aside the CymruX evaluation CD is great at accessing data on Windows partitions when they go belly-up and is now my sole emergency boot disk for windows. I've been asked for copies simply for this reason alone...

As for Firefox and browsers in general, I use sync2it.com to automatically synchronise/store/backup bookmarks via the web, and have done so for a few years. The latest addon works well with IE and Firefox but only on Windows. Does anyone know of a product (doesn't have to be free) which will do the same between Linux and Windows Firefox installations?

Diolch.

Hwyl

Llywelyn Owen                          mailto:llywelyn at bigfoot.com