[Menai-LUG] Firefox & Mandrake installation

Llywelyn Owen llywelyn at bigfoot.com
Wed Mar 9 13:22:14 GMT 2005

Thanks for the tips.

I had downloaded a copy of Xandros and found it was the easiest to install by far, with a clean, familiar feel. However, I have decided to stay with Mandrake 9.0, as this installs on both machines, and connects easily without any effort on my part to FAT32 partitions and a home Windows network. I have yet to get my Samsung colour laser printer to install as a network printer, it came with Linux drivers! - that'll be my next challenge!

As a crutch I am trying out Win4lin 9x (Mandrake 9.0, 2.4.19-16mdk, is the only distro I have on which it will run) and this seems to offer all the backward compatibility I need at the moment. I gave up on WINE as too complicated for me and a bit limiting for the software I have to install.  At least I am booting to Linux as a rule rather than Windows. I can browse the home network and Internet easily as well as install most native Windows apps that I can't find equivalents for. It prints via the Linux drivers so it's important for me to get the printer set up soon - I expect I'll be quizzing you about this before long.

It's strange to see Windows booting in a few seconds and recovering from crashes just as fast. Maybe Bill missed a trick with Win98?

By the way can anyone recommend a good bootable partitioning/formatting manager which recognizes Linux, NFS, and FAT partitions. One which I can use from outside the O/S just like I did with PQMagic?

Regards

Llywelyn Owen