[Menai-LUG] Firefox & Mandrake installation

Kevin Donnelly kevin at dotmon.com
Wed Mar 9 11:55:17 GMT 2005

On Friday 04 Mar 2005 08:46, Llywelyn Owen wrote:
> I've been away working for a few days so hope you don't think I had lost
> interest by not replying. My progress so far is thus, I have Mandrake 9.0
> up and running and seeing the internet but not other computers. I'm hoping
> to have a play around with it this weekend and maybe download other
> suggested distros such as Xandros, Debian etc to play with those.

If I were you, I would pick one distro, and stick with it for 6 months,
learning about how it does things.  Only then would I start comparing other
distros - as it stands, you have no criteria to compare them against, and
looking at several will (a) be confusing, and (b) take away time from
actually using Linux, as opposed to looking at it.

This month's Linux Magazine had a Ubuntu DVD on the front, and this month's
Linux Format had a SUSE 9.2 on the front.  Both of these are more recent than
Mandrake 9, and I would urge you to move up to the most recent distro you can
get.  If you want to stick to Mandrake, 10.1 was on a covermount at
Christmas, and if you like I can send you that.

Debian is good, but you do need to spend a bit of time finding your way around
it, and it can sometimes require a bit of low-level work.  Xandros (which I
have never managed to get installed, since it likes none of my video cards)
looks easy to get to grips with, especially for a Windows refugee, but you
will pay for that later - much of the KDE desktop has been specially hacked,
and it may not work properly with non-Xandros stuff.

> Other evaluation distros I've used give me instant access to Windows
> networks, how do I set this up on Mandrake? I think I have Samba installed,
> control panel has a LISa setup option under LAN browsing which suggests in
> a dialogue that Samba or an equivalent is running. I usually try to keep
> 192.168.0.1-10 (255.255.255.0) available for house computers/network
> printer/adsl router(with hardware firewall). After running the Guided LISa
> setup nothing seems to have changed/appeared that would give me access.

I don't really have any MicrosoftWindows machines I need to connect to any
more, but when I did (several years ago now) I could never get LISa to work -
all it did was eat CPU cycles until you killed it.  I eventually did get
browsing working with LinNeighbourhood, but I'm not sure that that's being
developed any more.

Paul Finegan posted a rather nice little howto for Samba on the Northwales LUG
list:
http://www.fineogs.co.uk/linux_samba_setup.pdf
You might go through that just to ensure your setup is OK.  Also, do not
underestimate the fragility of MicrosoftWindows networking.  One of my most
embarassing moments was at a MenaiLUG meeting two years ago, where I was
demonstrating Samba.  I set it all up here, tested MicrosoftWindows->Linux,
and vice versa, and all was working fine.  I took the machines in, set them
up, and MicrosoftWindows took a hissy fit and wouldn't work - I could ping
the MicrosoftWindows box, and vice versa, but higher-level networking was
just kaputt.  This is one of the issues with MicrosoftWindows networking in
an office environment - it will sometimes cease working for inscrutable
reasons.

Mind you, if all you need to do is transfer files to and from the
MicrosoftWindows box, you could use FTP, or set up an SSH server on
MicrosoftWindows (eg http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html).
Recent KDE releases have the fish protocol built in, whereby all you do is
open Konqueror, type fish://<ip address> into the location bar, enter your
SSH password, and there you are. (Remember that writing to an NTFS drive is
not recommended as yet - it would be better to use a FAT partition on the
MicrosoftWindows box as a staging area.)

> As an aside the CymruX evaluation CD is great at accessing data on Windows
> partitions when they go belly-up and is now my sole emergency boot disk for
> windows. I've been asked for copies simply for this reason alone...

Great!  There is a new version half-done, but it may be discarded in favour of
one based on SUSE instead of Knoppix.  (See what happens when your Debian
influence is no longer around, Thorben?)

> As for Firefox and browsers in general, I use sync2it.com to automatically
> synchronise/store/backup bookmarks via the web, and have done so for a few
> years. The latest addon works well with IE and Firefox but only on Windows.
> Does anyone know of a product (doesn't have to be free) which will do the
> same between Linux and Windows Firefox installations?

I'm afraid I don't (though others may).  The big thing I have about bookmarks
is that they don't really allow you to give any context, so if you have 10
pages from The Register, for instance, you can't usually guess what they're
individually about unless you visit them.  I therefore tend to use a wiki or
something similar, preferably on one machine in the LAN or on a website,
mainly because it can be accessed from anywhere, and I can add a snippet from
the page itself to give some idea of content.  But that is not as "click and
go" as you want, I suspect.

--

Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly