[Menai-LUG] Meeting/Seminar

Kevin Donnelly kevin at dotmon.com
Sat Feb 24 13:15:09 GMT 2007

A couple of weeks ago I raised this on these lists.  Anglesey Business Centre
is willing to do a deal on the room, but I get no vibes re doing anything
much beyond this.  By a process of inexorable logic, I conclude as follows:
getting a decent programme needs a decent number of attendees to make it
worthwhile -> getting a decent number of attendees may be more likely in
Llandudno/Colwyn Bay -> places there will cost significant amounts of dosh ->
to cover this I need more attendees -> to do this I need a bigger event.

This is not an entirely welcome conclusion, because it points to (in effect)
doing a mini-expo, which is a lot of organising, and needs to end up with me
not being out of pocket.  So it's risky.  The other alternative is to have a
few presenters making a trip to Anglesey to speak to what may turn out to be
a limited number of people, which is less risky, but will still take a good
bit of organising to do right.

So I suppose I'm soliciting responses on whether I should (a) do nothing, (b)
go for small meeting, or (c) go for larger meeting.

As regards (c), I would be thinking along the following lines:
- venue with exhibition/stand area, presentation area, and "business" area;
- one day, 10am-4pm;
- "stands" to be low-tech; ie FOSDEM or computer fair-style - a table with
some space around it;
- stands to be free, but donations accepted;
- 4 presentation tracks: business (deployment, office stuff, servers),
multimedia (edutainment, games, music, etc), home (office suites, email,
internet, etc), Welsh (software in Welsh, how to get more of it, etc);
- £4 for anyone (£2 if booked in advance), £40 for business track (£20 if
booked in advance) - these might not be remotely sustainable, so more info is
needed;
- presenters to have travel expenses paid, and equal share of any profits (if
I see any!);
- date in October, to give more time for organising and publicity;
- all screens to be running Linux;
- basic (ie no stuff like RAID, or 3D drivers) installations done for ?Ubuntu
and ?openSUSE, at a fee of £10.

Sounds pretty onerous, but not impossible in theory.

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly

www.kyfieithu.co.uk - KDE yn Gymraeg