[Menai-LUG] Re: [Northwales] Meeting/Seminar

Kevin Donnelly kevin at dotmon.com
Sat Feb 24 15:41:36 GMT 2007

On Saturday 24 February 2007 15:18, Phil Thane wrote:
> On Saturday 24 February 2007 13:14, Kevin Donnelly wrote:
> > As regards (c), I would be thinking along the following lines:
> > - venue with exhibition/stand area, presentation area, and "business"
> > area; - one day, 10am-4pm;
>
> Are their sufficient Linux based businesses/organisations in the area to
> take the stands?

Good question.  The answer is probably no, but I was also thinking of .orgs
like KDE, GNOME, Debian, etc, and also Welsh orgs like Urdd, MyM.

> > - "stands" to be low-tech; ie FOSDEM or computer fair-style - a table
> > with some space around it;
>
> With lots of power points, some venues not really adaptaded for lots of PCs

Indeed.

> > - stands to be free, but donations accepted;
>
> How about free to charities, social entrepreneurs etc, but a (small) charge
> for businesses?

Fine.

> > - presenters to have travel expenses paid, and equal share of any profits
> > (if I see any!);
>
> Do they share in losses too?

No!

> > - date in October, to give more time for organising and publicity;
>
> Who do you aim to attract and how? Companies will only take trade stands if
> they think they will gain customers. Charities etc will want to collect
> funds and advertise their service. I'm happy to talk about "Beginners'
> Linux", but how do you get the average Windows user to take any notice of
> an event connected with something he's never heard of? (I'll try to plug it
> in MM, but how may readers live in N Wales is anyone's guess).

Good question - of course, we have the same question if we do a smaller event
too.  I'm not sure that there would be many "trade" stands (though I would
expect people like Agored to be at least slightly interested ...), and the
low entry-barrier should help charities.  It may indeed be non-doable, but I
think I'll try and get some prices just to see what the ballpark figures
would be.

> > - basic (ie no stuff like RAID, or 3D drivers) installations done for
> > ?Ubuntu and ?openSUSE, at a fee of £10.
>
> One Gnome, one KDE?

Yes, that would make sense.

--