[Nottingham] Linux

Robert Postill nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu May 22 17:16:00 2003

--=-pVy9PtgkJoYSA6/Y8loj

While I'm on a losing streak:
1. The CV is exported to Word from OOo so it's not written on Word and
posted on Outlook Express (much as my behaviour may convince you
otherwise :)
2.  Sure I could put it rtf, pdf or HTMl, in fact I could put it in 1000
or more different formats and still end up getting calls from agents
asking for it Word format (yes I have had that trouble even with rtf
documents word should open without quibble). The reality of the
situation is that agents want word documents and nothing else.

Finally my sincere apologies, I wasn't intending to e-mail the list and
I certainly take no pride in the goof.  If it's caused you amusement,
well, then there's a silver lining to this cloud.  If its offended you,
well I hope never to repeat the experience, please don't flame me.

All-in-all I'd rather forget today ever happened.

Robert.

On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 16:25, Simon Huggins wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 04:00:53PM +0100, Jon Masters wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 May 2003, James Gibbon wrote:
> > > Let's be reasonable.  Most people maintain their CVs in Word format
> > > simply because that's what most employers require or expect.  Several
> > > Linux word processors will read Word documents.
> > I maintain mine in PDF because it is a universally standardised format
> > which anyone should be able to obtain a client reader for.
>=20
> That's very clever of you Jon.  You mean you write raw PDF yourself?
>=20
> Personally I maintain mine in LaTeX and let pdflatex do that bit of work
> for me though I believe I had a Word version too when I was last
> applying to jobs to get around employers' HR departments.
>=20
> Regardless of the format, there's no real excuse for posting it to a
> mailing list that isn't explicitly there for that purpose.
>=20
>=20
> Simon.
--=20