[Nottingham] Re: Wireless network card for Linux?

James Gibbon james.gibbon at virgin.net
Fri May 28 17:34:32 BST 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004 12:31:24 +0100
Alex Walker <alex at x3ja.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 11:35:09AM +0100, James Gibbon wrote:
> > I have had great success with the Belkin 54g cardbus & PCI NICs,
> > (Slackware 9.1 & Mandy 10.0 respectively), in conjunction with a
> > product called ndiswrapper (http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/)
> > which allows their Windows drivers to be used.  I got mine from
> > Dixons :D
>
> I have one of these, and have tried the ndiswrapper stuff and I got
> the interface to come up, but I couldn't get it to actually transfer
> traffic over it or get an IP via DHCP through my AP to my router.
> Could you tell me how you got it all working, if you can remember.  Do
> you have it set up to do WEP and all that?

I've been intending to document the installation procedure on my website
for a while and will probably get round to that in the next week or two.
Yes, it is set up to do WEP.  I'm not using an AP though, it's an
Ad-Hoc configuration, with static private IP addresses.  I attach to
the internet via a hard-wired connection to a cable modem using an
ordinary ethernet NIC on the desktop.  I use Shorewall to set up NAT
on the desktop and share the internet to the latop over the wireless
connection - this works very well.

In the meantime - how far did you get?  Did you try a static IP address
first & if so were you able to ping other boxes on the network?