[Nottingham] 3d/open gl programming in linux...

Michael Simms michael at tuxgames.com
Sat May 20 04:20:36 BST 2006

OpenGL is in fact the best way to do any 3D on Linux, and certainly as
far as I know the only cross platform way to do it.

If OpenGL doesnt seem to be working on your system it is either because:

a) your compile options are wrong
b) you have a graphics card or driver that doesnt support 3D

Mesa is a software-only implimentation of OpenGL. Its good for what it
is, but it is sloooooooow.

If you have an nvidia or ATI card, the drivers for those cards all
support GL. The open drivers do it via modified versions of mesa with
whatever hooks into the cards hardware they have got round to coding, so
they arent that great at 3D in terms of speed. The proprietary drivers
made by the card companies have much better GL support at a speed that
is equivalent to the windows drivers (with nvidia having better support
but ATI catching up).

When you have your OpenGL compatible card set up, if for example you are
using gcc or g++ as your compiler, then your link line for building your
executable should include -lGL in it, so that the 3D library is linked
correctly.

On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 23:24 +0100, patrick gustafson wrote:
> Hello ppl. I missed allot of fun at last social meeting, unfortunate I
> had to work overtime to 8pm, afterwards I was to tired and just went
> home. but next time I will be there...
>
> I have this crazy idea doing 3d programming for linux ... but are unsure
> what 3d languages is available. I did some open gl programming for
> windows using visual studio before and would like to continue using open
> gl but it docent seems to be available under linux, I have found Mesa3D
> and SDL.
>
> So what are ppl using when doing 3d programming for linux platform...
> maybe available for both linux and windows.
>
> // Patrick

Michael Simms - CEO, Tux Games
http://www.tuxgames.com