[Nottingham] 3d/open gl programming in linux...

Stephen Parkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Sat May 20 07:54:59 BST 2006

On 5/19/06, patrick gustafson <patrickgustafson at btinternet.com> wrote:

> So what are ppl using when doing 3d programming for linux platform...
> maybe available for both linux and windows.

Once you have your opengl up to speed (run glxinfo and look for direct
rendering first if that's off you need to play with your X settings)
pyopengl is excellent for rapid development.  because the opengl parts
are still in C and just your logic scripted it's pretty fast too.
Soya3d is a high level engine in python and that's just amazing in
terms of how quick development can be.

Personally I'm more of a 2d man anyway and use SDL or pygame but
that's because I don't have a setup that does opengl with any speed
these days :( when I did pyopengl (for that glut feeling) or soya3d
where my choices.

sparkes
--
Steve 'sparkes' Parkes - tshirts http://nerd.ws - code http://zx-81.com