[Nottingham] Strage X / terminal bug: restarts whenever I press tab

Danny King dannyking at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 16:28:23 UTC 2008

Hi guys,

I'm having a really, really strange problem. I run Ubuntu Hardy and
gnome and it's been a stable installation for months. All of a sudden,
whenever I havea terminal in focus (tested on gnome-terminal and
xterm) and I press tab my X server restarts! This happens /only/ when
a terminal is in focus, if I click on the desktop or any other app and
press tab, nothing unusual happens. The X server also restarts when I
press backspace /only if/ there is no text in the terminal (i.e.
nothing else to delete). As long as there is some text to delete it
deletes as usual.

This is driving me crazy because I have no idea what trigered this.
I've been using the terminal and tab complete all day with no problem.
Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Or any hints as
to where I can look for error messages that might give me a clue?

Thanks!

--
- Danny King of Gleaming Pixel Web Design.

Email: danny at gleamingpixel.co.uk / dannyking at gmail.com
Web: www.GleamingPixel.co.uk