[Nottingham] Vista can't find my shared partidion

asif maqbool asifbadkarma at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 14:38:56 UTC 2008

Pretty much as the man says, I have however found that ntfs is relatively
stable as a filesystem. If your linux install can read it ok. its usually
just a bad index or something that causes windows to fail to read it. seen
similar cases where a knoppix disk was able to read an ntfs partition
perfectly, but windows xp truncated the contents of a media folder, chkdsk
was able to resolve this without data loss. I would still recommend against
storing important data on ntfs, id much rather have all my data sat on an
file system that has had its source looked at by a decent number of geeks :D

2008/9/16 Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk>

> Danny King wrote:
> > Thanks I'll give that a shot. Will that risk the data on the partition?
>
> There is always a risk of the data getting 'scrambled'.
>
> 'Tis wise to always backup _before_ you do anything radical.
>
> 'Tis wise to have a backup in the first place!
>
> I'll concur on the chkdsk driveletter: /f or whatever idea. Do a chkdsk
> /? first to check the options.
>
> If Windows is booting up ok, then you may be able to do a
> checkdisk/repair if that partition is visible to the disk tools.
>

> A good question is what changed just before you found the problem?
>
> Has that partition merely been marked as "hidden"?
>
> Good luck,
> Martin
>
> --

take it easy