[Nottingham] File copying filesystem -> filesystem

Rory Holland modestforagenius at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 7 16:32:10 UTC 2009

Well it depends how many files you have.
In a similar situation, where I had about 30Gb music, a few photos and
films, and some disk images, I just copied them in Nautilus ^^
It worked fine. Think about it: you could have done it by now!!!

2009/9/7 Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk>:
> Rory Holland wrote:
>> Why not copy your entire home directory onto an external drive and reinstall?
>> That way you get the benefits of reinstallation
>
> And that's the question... How best to do that such that the files are
> optimally arranged onto the new disk (partitions).
>
> Does the ext4 filesystem (and filesystems in general) have an easier
> time arranging the files and directories and inodes on a disk if you
> copy new files to them by following the directory hierarchy depth first,
> or breadth first? Or what? Are some file transfer programs better than
> others?
>
> Eg, use:
>
> cp
> tar
> rsync
> ?
>
> Or even use exotic tricks with find and/or xargs to contrive the order
> that the files get copied across.
>
> Should big files be copied across before small files?
>
> Should the directory structure be created before any files are copied?
> (tar and rsync appear to do that at each level of hierarchy.)
>

> Or does it simply not matter? Are filesystems already so highly
> optimised that they perform just as well regardless of any abuse?
>
> Any thoughts folks?
>

> Cheers,
> Martin
>
> --

Please avoid sending me encrypted Microsoft Office attachments (Word,
Excel, Powerpoint)