[Nottingham] File copying filesystem -> filesystem

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Sep 7 22:55:26 UTC 2009

Rory Holland wrote:
> Well it depends how many files you have.
> In a similar situation, where I had about 30Gb music, a few photos and
> films, and some disk images, I just copied them in Nautilus ^^
> It worked fine. Think about it: you could have done it by now!!!

Yes, easily, and all fine if you just wish to do it "any way, any how"
in the hope that it will "just work".

In this instance, all the ways of cp, tar and rsync should work fine.

"Think about it" is much more interesting for learning what actually
happens and to find out about the pros and cons for the different ways.
Especially so if you're chasing the best optimised performance.

Doing an upgrade and a few shuffles with the data is a very good excuse
to try to tidy a few things up, disk layout included.

Hence the second part of the question: Is it worth it?

Further comment: If you have any 'value' for your data, it is also wise
to (1:) backup all the data FIRST, and (2:) VERIFY that the data has
indeed been correctly transferred over and is retrievable.

martin at ml1.co.uk