[Nottingham] Writing into FLASH!

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Sep 21 23:13:30 UTC 2009

Camilo Mesias wrote:

> There are read-only filesystems for flash (eg. cramfs). For 'mostly
> read-only' I would imagine a cramfs with some ram based overlay to
> allow minimal writes.

As it happens...

I'm running:

while true; do date -R; find /bin /boot /dev /etc /home /initrd /lib
/lib64 /opt /root /sbin /usr /var \( -cmin -1 -o -mmin -1 \) -print;
echo; sleep 1m; done > filesupdated.log 2>&1 &

to build up a list of what actually does change on a minute-by-minute
basis for Mandriva + KDE and for my very experimental Gentoo system.

So far, Ted Tso's fearsome blast about crappy KDE programming thrashing
the filesystem senseless seems not to be the case. At least for the
versions and applications that I (minimally) run.

It could well be that a few GB of cheap flash and just 1 GB of very fast
RAM is all that you normally need...

martin at ml1.co.uk