[Nottingham] Aspire One Performance

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Sep 30 15:40:53 UTC 2009

Rory Holland wrote:
> Seeing those posts on the iPlayer reminded me of my own Aspire One
> performance issues.
> I have an Acer Aspire one with 512mb RAM and an 8Gb SSD
> I am running Ubuntu Netbook Remix (9.10 - is it beta yet?), but have
> had this problem with most Linux distros
>
> The interface is slow and unresponsive; hovering over an icon will
> take a good few seconds before it "highlights", and I'll have to wait
[...]

One step is to try adding 1GB RAM to give you 1.5GB. That certainly
helped on my AspireOne.

And as it happens... I happen to have a spare 1GB SODIMM that's
compatible with it. ;-)

There's various other tweaks... Such as using tmpfs for certain tmp
directories and disabling the disk cache for Firefox.

Others?

Good luck,

martin at ml1.co.uk