[Nottingham] NLUG: What's in a name?

Richard Hodgson rich at dearinternet.com
Fri Jun 10 01:54:21 UTC 2011

Seems a little anal to me, and makes the name more intimidating than it
already is to those who are only starting out in Linux.

To me, whilst it's important to remember all of the programs that run on top
of the Linux kernel, it's also important to promote Linux the best way that
we can; by making it more accessible and usable to those who may only having
some interest in it. Making more user friendly interfaces and distributions
and increasing cross-platform compatibility to ease transition as well as
other operational and usability considerations are only part of it. If we
start complicating what Linux means as a community by getting anal over
naming conventions for groups, it risks alienating and turning away those
who have an initial interest and want to get involved.

The Linux community was known for its air of elitism and snobbery many years
ago, and a lot of work has gone into improving its image with the likes of
Mandrake/Mandriva a decade ago, moving on to further improvements with
Ubuntu, and the first take on Linux in the mobile community that's gained
real popularity in the form of Android. It would be a disservice to these
efforts to complicate things further.