[Nottingham] Odd thing with DVDs

Andy White andy at milky.org.uk
Wed Mar 27 11:32:16 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 09:16:03AM +0000, Jason Irwin wrote:
> On 26/03/13 23:35, Andy White wrote:
> > "busy inode"s suggests the kernel still thinks the media is mouned; are you
> > umounting first?
> I'm pressing the eject button on the front of the drive.  Surely that
> causes an unmount etc?

Assuming such an eject is passed back to the kernel, but I've never known it to
work that way. In fact, I can't remember any drive of mine that ever let me
eject a disc in linux via a hardware eject button.

> I'd accidentally left the DVD in the drive overnight and when I booted
> this morning, the PC booted from the DVD no problem.
> When I insert the DVD into the booted PC - no dice.  So I think this is
> something software-y.  Just not sure what.

I'm pretty sure the kernel still thinks the disc is mounted.

You can confirm this with just 'mount' after pressing eject.