[Nottingham] [OT] Completely Off-Topic, but surreal brilliance

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Oct 14 12:18:23 UTC 2013

On 14/10/13 11:43, Martin wrote:
> So... A singular RC chopper?... Phah!
>
> How about a webcam HEXapod chopper at 2000 feet and a
> "Thunderbirds-Are-Go!" computer controlled GRASSHOPPER?...
>
> Grasshopper 744m Test
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZDkItO-0a4
>
> Beautiful!
>

> Try doing that one just by eye and radio-control!... ;-)
>
> Spectacular and some beautiful variable thrust rocketry and control.

It's on The Register...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/14/grasshopper_passes_2500_feet/

For the "Wow!" factor, I think these two comments from there sum up the
spectacle nicely:

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/1987601

####
The whole video is clearly CGI.

Look at how the horizon moves: perfectly smooth pan up, then as it
reaches the bottom of the screen there's an instantaneous stop, zero
judder, absolutely motionless. You couldn't even do that from a static
tower.

Then look at the trajectory of the rocket: absolutely perfectly
vertical, not the slightest flicker of deviation and correction.

The rotor blades are just a superimposed distractor. The
cigarette-lighter flame effect was an odd choice. ...
####

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/1987267

####
Sometimes you just gotta say "awesome" and stop there.
####

Spectacular!

:-)

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg