[Nottingham] RasPi USB Storage

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Apr 9 09:43:42 UTC 2015

On 09/04/15 10:21, Jason Irwin wrote:
> On 09/04/15 09:52, Martin wrote:
> Well...it seems the firmware lies so that you can still use your
> spanky-new SSD with XP or DOS. Yeesh.
> So "parted" etc can't really help.
>
> Anyhoo, this:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Partitioning#Partition_alignment
> And this: https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Partition_Alignment#Linux
>
> Make sense. Start at sector 2048, go in 1MiB jumps, breathe easy.
>
>> Another twist is that I've long since moved to GPT partitioining
>> wherever possible so as to get away from the old style "logical"
>> partitions chaining numbers game...
> Yeah, think I'll be feeding this SSD to "GParted Live" at lunch.
> I probably could use the CLI, but am familiar with the GUI and a nice
> graphic really does help make sense of the numbers.

There's my old example on:

Howto HDD and SSD Alignment
http://nlug.ml1.co.uk/2011/09/howto-hdd-and-ssd-alignment/608

An update to that is still in "draft"...

Since then, the defaults for all current Linux tools all do the sensible
thing. Hence, alignment and wear are not really a problem for SSDs any
more. Still though good to be aware.

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg